Any medical treatment requires an interaction, and some form of intervention with you and your physician. At the heart of the interaction is a communication process, a transfer of a lot of information, and ultimately some analysis leading to an action plan. Each part of these steps requires a joint effort of your physician and you.
What I aim to provide during your visit includes:
- An examination of your symptoms by asking probing questions and listening carefully to your answers.
- Explaining your condition, diagnosis, and treatment in terms you will understand.
- An understanding of your treatment plan and options.
- An explanation of your goals treatment plan including any risks and benefits.
- Helping you set realistic goals and expectations.
- Providing you with the best medical care possible.
- Encouraging you to follow through.
As my patient, I suggest that you:
- Be an active participant in your healthcare decisions.
- Be on time for your appointments.
- Come prepared with all forms completed and questions you would like to discuss.
- Ask me your medical questions, and save your non-medical questions for my staff.
- Ask about and understand the alternatives
- Read the materials given to you. These have been carefully prepared or chosen to help direct your recovery.
- Research about your condition using the internet or library.
- Set realistic goals for yourself and adjust those goals based on your progress.
- Follow my instructions regarding the basic understanding of how pain works, fitness physiology, medications, exercise, physical therapy and any recommended procedures.
- Call or email me if you have important concerns about medications, or symptoms.
Making the most our your medical care is always a joint process involving your healthcare provider and you. I believe that making you an empowered patient and reinforcing a strong doctor/patient relationship is key to success.
Alex Simotas, MD